You are here

Monica

Monica

It’s a red grape of Spanish origin, maybe brought in XIII century.
Widespread throughout the island, it grows over an area of about 3000 hectares, mainly gathered in Cagliari, Oristano, Carbonia-Iglesias and Medio Campidano districts.
Its varietal is characterized by fresh scents of blackberry and cherries, red fruits jam and delicate spiciness, often matched with hints of sweet almond. The taste is pleasantly soft and fresh, thanks to the characteristic acidity.
The best wine Monica mostly comes from the vineyards where grow different grapes and where Monica is not less than 85%, while the rest (15%) is made from Bovale, Sardinian Barbera and Alicante.
The other varieties are meant to enrich the wine color and tannins , while Monica is rich in sugars, giving smoothness and class.
The vine is suitable for medium expansion farming systems, such as cordon or espalier , and prefers calcareous and siliceous soils, deep but not too humid.

vitigni image: